There are only 45 days left until spring – and in KC the spring real estate market starts heating up before then. In fact, we have already started to see an increase of new listings in recent weeks!
If you’re waiting for spring to list, get a jump on the competition and do these things now to get your home on the market as soon as possible:
- Declutter: A neat and clean presentation can really influence a potential buyer’s first impression of your home. Go room by room, closet by closet and drawer by drawer to clean out your entire home. Gather gently-used items you no longer need and consider donating them to a local charity. Box up and store things you will not be using before the move (think seasonal items, extra sporting equipment and miscellaneous kitchen gadgets). Have a large trash bag handy for things that are broken or too worn.
- Make it Shine: Once you have cleared the clutter you can focus on getting your home in the best shape possible. Take an inventory of each room – what repairs are needed? Do you need to touch-up paint? Could the carpets benefit from a professional cleaning? You might even hire a professional cleaning company to give your home a good deep clean before you have listing pictures taken.
- Enhance Curb Appeal: The impression of your home starts when a buyer pulls up to your home, or sees the first photo online! When weather permits, do your best to clean up the exterior of your home – especially the front and entry. Cut back overgrown trees and bushes. Rake and bag leaves that have piled up. Consider a fresh coat of paint on the front door. Add an inexpensive wreath and/or welcome mat. Be sure all bulbs for exterior lights are in working order for evening showings!
- Meet with a Realtor: You home is likely your largest investment. When you decide to move, it makes sense to rely on the expertise of a realtor to help protect your investment. From providing market data to working with you on a pricing strategy and marketing plan, our team has the experience needed to get your home listed quickly. We also manage everything for you once you’re on the market – from showings and feedback, to negotiations, inspections and closings. You can count on us every step of the way!
- Get Show-Ready: Before your first showing, make sure your home is secure. It’s a good idea to file away sensitive papers, credit card statements or bills. If there are items you don’t want people you don’t know to see, find secure storage for them. The same is smart for prescription medication or any firearms that may be in your home. Store valuables in a safe or outside the home while it is listed for sale.
Getting your home ready to sell can be a lot of work, but the sooner you get started, the better. Take advantage of the cold weather to hunker down and knock-out this to-do list and you’ll be several steps closer to your next home! Whether you’re looking for a realtor, or just need a referral for a contractor to help get your home market-ready, you can call Bradshaw Group anytime for help – (913) 980-2434. Thanks!